Our Christmas Quiz this year is themed around 'Australian mammals', including mammals from all three of the main groups: monotremes, eutheria, and metatheria. Each round focuses on a different mammal. Answers should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, with 'australian mammals' (all lower-case) in the subject line. The winner, determined if necessary using the tie-break, will receive a book on a relevant subject.
ROUND ONE: DINGO
(Each answer is a book title, containing all the letters of the word Dingo)
- One of the best cookbooks of the year, fusing German and Welsh flavours, with an astonishing recipe for Quark rarebit.
- Latest novel by the perennial Nobel bridesmaid. Its cover features an owl, some black splodges, and a single white splodge.
- Autobiography of the gent who voiced the delusional parrot in the underrated 2000 film 102 Dalmatians.
- A perennial LRB favourite tells us about some famous writers’ dads.
ROUND TWO: KOALA
(Each answer is an author's name, containing all the letters of the word Koala)
- Her latest novel is named after the condition of homelessness; other novels are named after a gap, a property of birds, a book, and some particularly high-flying swine.
- Nineteenth century Russian novelist (whose books have received some handsome 2018 reissues) who was the ‘Namesake’ in a 2003 novel of that title.
- An artist whose personal belongings went on show in London this year, including her plaster corset, a diagram of her washing line, and her bottle of chloroform.
- A poet, whose 2018 second collection is named after a Swiss or French Savoyard dish.
ROUND THREE: [MYSTERY ANIMAL]
(The clues will reveal the name of the mystery animal)
- First two letters: the first two letters of the title of a new novel about life in a Mennonite community.
- Third and fourth letters: first two letters in the surname of a contemporary postcolonial critic and political philosopher, who won this year’s Gerda Henkel prize.
- Fifth and sixth letters: the first word of the title of Flann O’Brien’s first novel.
- Put them all together to make the name of…… the mystery animal.
ROUND FOUR: ECHIDNA
(Identify the book from a detail of the spines)
ROUND FIVE: KANGAROO
(The kangaroo has been jumping on the names of the small-press publishers, and all the letters are out of order. Unjumble them to find the correct names.)
- 'A Short Desertion'.
- 'Bard Forsook Food'.
- 'Re: Rev's slips'.
- 'Soaking Boot'.
ROUND SIX: PLATYPUS (TIEBREAK)
Come up with three puns: monotreme / author's name, eutheria / publishing house, and metatheria / regular LRB contributor. The winning pun will be selected by Charlie.