‘Inequality and the 1%’: Danny Dorling in conversation with Kate PickettTuesday 21 October 2014, 6 p.m. · 85 minutes
'Our top 1% take 15% of all income. That’s the highest share of anywhere in Europe. Our bottom fifth are the poorest in Europe.'
In Inequality and the 1% (Verso) Danny Dorling (Halford Mackinder Professor of Geography of the School of Geography and the Environment of the University of Oxford, or, as Simon Jenkins more pithily put it, 'geographer royal by appointment to the left'), goes in pursuit of the latest research into how the lives and ideas of the richest 1 per cent affect the remaining 99 per cent of us. The findings are shocking. Inequality in the UK is increasing as more and more people are driven towards the poverty line, with profound implications for education, health and life expectancy.
Danny Dorling joined us at the Bookshop in conversation with Kate Pickett, Professor of Epidemiology in the Department of Health Sciences at the University of York, and co-author (with Richard Wilkinson) of the ground-breaking The Spirit Level: Why More Equal Societies Almost Always Do Better.